Tuesday 14 October 2008

At Long Last, the Die-Nasty Write-up.

'K, it's been almost a month and I can really get my head around a lot of what happened.

First off, let me highlight how wonderful and awesome the Die-Nasty company is, add to that the phenomenal people from Rapid Fire Theatre and everyone else who I met out there. Except the guy at immigration.

Second, let me thank Mark Meer, Belinda Cornish and their dog Atom for being gracious and adorable hosts and a very cute dog. If you ever have cause to make a cake, these people are worthy recipients.

Thirdly (and finally) it wouldn't have been the same without the support and "mad skillz" of my fellow English, Adam Meggido, Sean McCan, Cariad Lloyd and Maya Sendall. All of whom are genius-level poets.

The Show.

OK. Show-Day -2. Wednesday
I've been in Canada for about 16 hours. Last night Cariad and I arrived in Edmonton and were taken straight into a workshop, then a pub, then the place we're staying at (Mark and Belinda's house is amazing and I still giggle with glee and excitement every time I think about the comic books, action figures or posters). Today we're hunting for some costume.

The setup for the show is this: "a family-run-business has won the lottery and is using some of the money to take the family and some employees to Hawaii." We're met by Matt Alden, one of the core company, who drives us around some good costume stores in a tiny car; wigs are bought and I pick up some fake facial hair and glasses. There's another workshop that evening, in which I acquit myself mildy better than the night before, but still not "well". The other UK participants arrive that evening and much fun is had in the pub. I have no idea what character I'm going to play at this point; I have this idea about being a cult investigator/de-programmer and hope that if I imply that one exists, there'll be a cult on the island.

I can't really account for Thursday. I think I bought a Green Lantern t-shirt and ate a twinkie. But more must have happened. In the evening Adam and Sean run an improvised Shakespeare/Musical workshop for the Rapid Fire guys. A lot of fun stuff is learned by many lovely people. I take the time to look up Hawaii on wikipedia, a pointless activity.

Anyhoo.

Friday rolls around. D-day.

I still have no idea what I'm going to play. I have a bunch of names in my head and some costume that seems to say "academic". The morning and afternoon is spent eating salmon and trying to convince Cariad to let us buy her some truly dreadful gold boots for a character.

People begin to congregate at the Varscona Theatre at around 1630, aside from those folks already there finishing the set, cleaning the theatre and preparing for the show. It's at this point that I, faced with the need to pick a character, decide on a few things.

1. I've bought a false moustache and intend to wear it.
B. The english accent is a novelty here. I'll abuse that and be English.
iii. I've got tweeds, fake glasses, a corduroy jacket and they seem to feel "right" as costume.

And so, Professor Steven Doctors is created.

Someone told me that the 53 hour is like a breeding ground for your bad habits, and Doctors is a manifestation of all of mine. He turns very rapidly into a high status buffoon, the sort of character who talks the talk but can't back it up. He is also fairly emotionally isolated. This turns into a problem for me in the dark hours. Fortunately, he's also fun to play and entertaining to watch (I'm told).

Now then, the format of the show is roughly this. Every 2 hours there is an interval. This serves a number of different purposes. The audience can easily mill around, stretch their legs or go buy food and drink. Similarly the cast can also go grab some food or whatever, step out back for a smoke or fresh air. Towards the end of the interval, the cast congregates in the basement where Dana Andersen (the Director) takes a roll call of participants for the next two hours. Those performers who are "in" then join a circle and chant to build energy. We all then run upstairs to the entrance at the rear of the auditorium.

What follows happens at the start of every two hour segement; they're called the Hot Thirties. Each character (sometimes in pairs) is announced by the Director, they run down the stairs into a spotlight where the character performs a short monologue about something. Frequently about their experiences so far, hopes for the future or their feelings. This works quite well as an introduction to the story for new audience members. This done, Dana then sets up scenes and casts them from his notebook and mic stage left. And the show takes off...

Now then. This is a huge post. You've got the form and the run up. You'll get the rest in a couple of days.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Oooo, looking forward to the next post!!