Tuesday 30 September 2008

Major Inspirations

To my improv in specific, and to my performing career in general, I have a number of obvious inspirations. These inspirations, in the form of people, have quite obviously influenced the kind of work I appreciate, want to put onstage, in all hopes do put onstage. While I don't have a comprehensive list to spout out at a moment's notice, I have a few I can utter here.

These are not in any hierarchy; I've merely listed them as they come to mind.

1. Adam Goren, aka Atom and His Package

Adam is a musician, and his work as a musician inspired my music before it inspired my improv. It might even suffice to say that he does not directly influence my improv, but only in some far-flung way.

Atom and His Package was a one-man band of sorts. He would come to his shows just himself, his guitar, and a CD player with prerecorded backing music. It was kinda like karaoke with guitar in some weird way, but that wasn't what communicated during his concerts. In his concerts, he was an amazing performer, a nerdy-looking guy, heavyset, but ferocious, hilarious, understated, and even lovably insecure. He was a genius in idiot's clothing, maybe you'd say if you saw or heard about the setup.

He was inspiring because he taught me just how personal you could be in your songs. In his songs, he sings about specific people in his life, mentioning them by name, making songs up about stuff for which you have no reference. That sounds like a recipe for disaster, at least with respect for attracting listeners. But it wasn't. The people in his life became a sort of cast of characters for his songs. You almost felt as if you knew some of them--their habits, their ways, their attitudes, etc.

He also inspired me that, yes, you can go onstage with a CD player and sing. Granted, Atom had a guitar, but his band didn't need to be one or two other guys. It could just be him. He could make retarded songs that no one understood. You would grow to like them if you listened often enough. (I surely did.)

If you listen to the music of Atom and His Package, these phrases describe his early work: dorky and punk, whiny and badass, outrageously personal and obscurely specific. As his music evolved, his music just became badass. He'd have outrageous song titles ("If You Own The Washington Redskins, You're A Cock" and "The Palestinians Are NOT the Same Thing as the Rebel Alliance, Jackass," to name two), blazing fast lyrics, songs that made you just want to jump up and down, and music that just made you feel alive.

So, he inspired my music (listen to "posting songs" here to hear the influences), but he also inspired my improv. In this way: You can get deeply personal and specific. You can pull from obscure places in your life. It doesn't mean your work will suck. On the contrary, it can send it through the roof. Specifics, specifics. If your improv doesn't have them, it's general, and if it's general, it only does so much for the audience, and only so much for you.

P.S. Here's an Atom and His Package song live. It's called "I'm Downright Amazed At What I Can Destroy With Just A Hammer." It's specific, CD-backed, and badass.

2. Marjoe Gortner

Marjoe was a 4-year-old Pentecostal preacher. For footage from the beginning of his documentary, see YouTube. (Marjoe is still alive, though I speak of him here in the past tense. It would be amazing to meet him.)

I do improvised sermons. It is very safe to say that Marjoe singly influenced my approach to improvised sermons--not so much his preaching as a kid, but his preaching as an adult in his Oscar-winning documentary (1972). In the film, he shares insights into his style and approach. What impressed me most about the documentary, though, was what Marjoe did to audiences. We're talking Pentecostal churches, and he would work the audience up to such fits of ecstasy, to see it would drop your jaw. People shaking, people dancing, people writhing, people speaking in strange tongues, people crying, people on the floor, exhausted, as if they've been exorcised (not to mention exercised).

I watched this film for the first time in a religion class in college, and what he did to audiences is what I wanted to do to audiences as an actor. I used some of his approaches as warm-up exercises for actors in a play I directed in college. Today, Marjoe's body language is very much embedded in many of my curtain speeches. The object is to give the audience energy, excitement, an edge ... to move them, inspire them, open them up, get them to feel something. Mmmm.

3. Respecto Montalban

This (former?) Harold Team from the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre may have been the first Harold Team I ever saw perform. If not, it was the one that impressed me time and again in those first months of watching long-form improv in the summer of 2000.

Respecto was an attractive team of outstanding performers. They never ceased giving you amazing visuals, extreme physicality, and insane implications from starting premises. They kept mixing things up, innovating when others didn't seem to innovate, and just overall usually put on a damn good show. I've never seen a team to this day that matches their chemistry and energy. And their work is probably the most inspirational for me when it comes do teaching and doing Harolds. I can't remember what's in this video, but here is some sense of their work here on YouTube.




That will suffice for now.

Paul, you?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I talked to Marjoe briefly 2 yrs ago, been to a coupla his big parties. He pretty much was always rehearsed, every move pre-calculated, nothing left to chance. He'd be pretty uncomfortable in an improv show.

Ben said...

Chevstriss, this is wonderful news. Where is Marjoe these days? What is he up to? Thanks for posting that. I think he would be quite amused to see my improvised sermons. No doubt he would see his positive influence on these funny things. If you have his email address, please pass them onto him. My videos are located here: http://www.benhauck.com/http://www.benhauck.com/videos.php ... They're in the Improvised Sermon videos at the top.

Ben said...

For some reason, the link didn't post correctly.

Here is another attempt:

http://www.benhauck.com/videos.php

If that didn't work, simply visit the website and look under Performing > Videos > Improvised Sermons. :)

Unknown said...

I'm not email buddies w/ Marjoe. I only spoke to him once, the 2nd time I saw him I didn't have the balls to speak. He's not someone I would bring up a controversial past with. He runs big gala events for a-listers, always looks busy and worried when he's on the clock.

Ben said...

Chevtriss, thanks again for your reply. Do you see anything online about his recent activities? All I see are old links. Interesting about gala events. Where does he host them? Where you live (Tennessee?)?

Unknown said...

He stays under the radar now - the events are held all over the western hemisphere. Here is a pic last november 1st in Mexico with Marcia Gay Harden
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Quiquo/Misc/MarciaMar.jpg

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

dunno what is going on with links, but twice it cut the url in half. past this on the end of the url in the above comment:

/MarciaMar.jpg

then you can grab the pic and put it into the original post if you like.

Ben said...

No worries about the link. Earlier in this thread I had similiar problems, but I'm getting emails about this discussion and the links are coming through to my email just fine.

That is so cool to see a photo and to learn what he's up to now.

Chevstriss, through all of this, I've wondered what your connection with Marjoe is, and how you found out about my blog! I take it you have a Google Alert set for "marjoe"?

Unknown said...

yeah, my Google alert topics could fill an encyclopedia. I'm just a tagalong/hanger-on with some girlfriends at these big Galas, I have no connection at all. Being the ultimate host, Gortner sat at our table briefly and I talked to him, then it dawned on me this was the same hippie I had lusted after on TV as a teen. He really impressed me so I went home and did the internet research. Quite a life he's lived, full circle as it were.